[CT Birds] COA WORKSHOPS THIS WEEKEND!

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Wed May 25 19:28:00 EDT 2016

Hi, fellow CT birders!

This weekend we will have not one but two COA workshops!  On Saturday, we
will have a flycatcher workshop led by outstanding birder and educator,
Glenn Williams. The workshop will be held at Hartman Park in Lyme, beginning
at 7:30 am. On Sunday, there will be a workshop on vireos and thrushes
co-led by expert birder, Greg Hanisek, and COA President, Kathy Van Der Aue.
This workshop will be held at Mohawk Mountain State Park between Cornwall
and Goshen, beginning at 8:00 am.  Both workshops are free and available to
COA members and non-members alike.  I hope that you will be able to attend!
The more complete announcements are below.

Flycatcher Workshop

Saturday, May 28th, 2016 at 7:30 am

Hartman Park and Nehantic State Forest, Lyme

This workshop will focus on how to identify the flycatcher species
frequently found in CT, including the members of the empidonax group. We'll
have an initial outdoor discussion followed by a walk on the trails.  Meet
at the parking lot for Hartman Park on Gungy Road in Lyme.  The workshop is
free and open to COA members and non-members alike.  Leader: Glenn Williams.
Contact person:  Chris Loscalzo at closcalz at optonline.net and 203 389-6508.

Vireo and Thrush Workshop

Sunday, May 29th 2016 at 8:00 am

Mohawk Mountain State Park/Mohawk State Forest, Cornwall/Goshen

Learn how to identify the thrushes and vireos in the state.  We'll visit a
northern location where there will be nesting Hermit Thrush and Blue-headed
Vireo so that participants may learn to differentiate the songs of these
species from the more common Wood Thrush and Red-eyed Vireo.  Other thrush
and vireo species found in CT will be searched for and discussed, as well.
Meet at the park entrance on Route 4 in Cornwall, four miles west of Goshen.
The workshop is free and open to COA members and non-members alike. Leaders:
Greg Hanisek and Kathy Van Der Aue. Contact person:  Chris Loscalzo at
closcalz at optonline.net and 203 389-6508.

Good birding,

Chris Loscalzo

Woodbridge