[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Events during June

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu May 26 22:16:03 EDT 2016

Folks,

Please note the following schedule of June NHBC field trips, and check the NHBC website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

First Wednesday Walk: White Memorial, Litchfield.  Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public. The White Memorial Foundation is a 4,000-acre nature preserve with extensive woodlands, conifer plantations, wetlands, thickets, and fields. The preserve is home to more than 115 breeding species and is visited by many migrant species. Notable breeding species include: Least Bittern, Virginia Rail, Northern Goshawk, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Brown Creeper, Winter Wren, and Blackburnian Warbler. Meet at the visitor center parking lot off Bissell Road, off Rt. 202. Leader: Greg Hanisek: 203-525-1558 (cell), 203-754-4401 (home), ctgregh at yahoo.com <mailto:ctgregh at yahoo.com>.

National Trails Day Hike at Naugatuck State Forest.  Saturday, June 4, 2016, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  National Trails Day is celebrated across the country with hikes, trail work, and naturalist events. NHBC will commemorate the event with a birding hike on the oldest hiking trail in CT, the Quinnipiac Trail. We’ll leave from the Downes Rd. parking area entrance of Naugatuck SP and go through the mountain laurel, beech, birch, hickory and oak forest; then up and over Mt. Sanford, at an elevation of 890 feet, for beautiful views to the east. Possible birds to be seen are Veery, Wood Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, hawks, and warblers. Wear sturdy shoes or boots, and bring water and trail snacks. The hiking is a bit strenuous.  Leader: Craig Repasz: 203-230-1697 (home), 203-745-6683 (cell) or crepasz at hotmail.com <mailto:crepasz at hotmail.com>.

New Haven Summer Bird Count.  Saturday, June 4 and Sunday, June 5, 2016.  Free and open to the public.  This is a wonderful opportunity to work on your song identification skills and to see what birds are nesting in your area. For the names of area captains and other information, call Steve Mayo: 203.393.0694, rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net <mailto:rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net>.

Beginner’s Bird Walk: Grassland and Shrubland Bird Tour.  Sunday, June 5th, 2016, 7:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  On this trip we will look for grassland and shrubland birds, including Bobolink, American Kestrel, Blue-winged Warbler, and Indigo Bunting. Grasslands and shrublands are uncommon in CT so it is a treat to see and hear species associated with these habitats.  We will meet at the Bent of the River Important Bird Area, then carpool to Good Hill Farm IBA, stop at Southbury Training School and return to the Bent to explore that Audubon Sanctuary.  This walk is geared to beginners but families and all levels of birders are welcome. More advanced birders will enjoy a great day out but will also provide support and inspiration to the newcomers. The Bent is at 185 East Flat Hill Rd., Southbury. Meet in the parking lot at the entrance.  Leader: Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe: 203-630-9640 (home-preferred), 203-233-0535 (cell—use only on the day of the trip) or email:  cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org <mailto:cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org>.

Whip-poor-will Walk at Naugatuck State Forest:  Friday, June 17th, 2016, 8:30 pm.  Rain date-Saturday June 18th.  Free and open to the public.  New Haven Bird Club member and volunteer DEEP Whip-poor-will monitor will lead a walk, listening and looking for Whip-poor-will at the Naugatuck State Forest.  We will meet at 8:30 PM at the parking lot at the end of Hunter’s Mountain Road. Jack will give a short talk on the status of Whip-poor-wills in the northeast and Connecticut. We will then wait for dusk to fall while we listen for the distinctive call. A sighting?-who knows! Bring a flashlight and plenty of bug spray.   203-592-4686, or jswattbirds at snet.snet <mailto:jswattbirds at snet.snet>.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher
West Haven