[CT Birds] Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Hooded Warbler - Naugatuck State Forest--West Block, May 27, 2016

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri May 27 13:31:37 EDT 2016

    It's been a good year for me finding Yellow-billed Cuckoos.  Usually I can scrounge up one or two, but this year I'm up to 9 so far.  Had two today at the end of Hunter Mt Rd in Naugatuck SF. Earlier this week I had 3 or 4 at Roraback WMA in Harwinton.  One in the fields off South Rd and 2 or 3 in the East end off Laurel Rd.  I saw two fly west together and within 1 minute heard a call from the opposite direction.  I suspect it was a third but couldn't rule out that one of the birds circled back around.    Also at Naugatuck I ventured off the main trail along some foot paths and found an open area with a singing male Hooded Warbler.  I've found them in other areas of the West block, but this is the first I've found in this area.
Jack SwattWolcott