[CT Birds] Strange sighting

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat May 28 15:39:51 EDT 2016

Improbable as it may sound, this morning about 6:30, when going  south on
Rt 11 south of Colchester,  I saw what I  am virtually certain was a Hill
Myna. The bird flew out of  the trees  in the median, about half a mile north
of the end of the highway,  and apparently saw my car and didn't want to fly
in front of it. It made a  sharp turn towards me and flew back into the
trees.  At first it looked  like a dull jet black bird, but when it turned I saw
the unmistakable white  patches in the middle of the wings. They were
visible on both top and  bottom.  When it went into the trees I was less than 50
feet from it, so I  couldn't have had a much better, if brief, look while
going 65 MPH. At a guess,  I was about a quarter mile south of the Witch
Meadow Road exit at the  time.
I picked Hill Myna out of the three species possible because  the color and
the pictures of the wing patches in Sibley match exact exactly  with what I
saw, and the bird was fairly large, though much smaller than a  Crow.
Since there are no colonies of these birds that I know of other  than in
Florida and California, the bird is undoubtedly an escape, but still
interesting to see. It certainly woke me up.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com