[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford, Ct, 6-4-16

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 19:32:40 EDT 2016

I took an extended birding vacation this spring, and have  only been back
in the state for two weeks.
I've visited Boston Hollow several times since my return and  find some
species in relative abundance, some diminished from past years. (See  notes).
Ebird report below.

Jun 4, 2016 7:50 AM  - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
69 species

Comments: The new House on Barlow Mill road  was sold last  winter. The
owners told me they could not stand the political climate in CT any  more and
were moving south. I can't blame them. The apparent new owners still  have
feeders out, but do not tend them regularly and they are sometimes empty,
sometimes with little variety. The result is obvious, since there appear to be
fewer birds in the area. The old foundation in the field just up the road
from  the house now has a gate across the driveway, as well as dire warnings
posted.  Too bad, as I found several species there.

Wood Duck   1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Red-shouldered  Hawk  3     Success! There is a nest with two large chicks,
 one of which appears ready to fledge. For a while I saw only one, but the
last  three times I've looked there have been two, with a big size and
maturity  difference. There is at least 1 adult caring for them (very well it
appears) but  I seldom see or hear it.
This nest is in the same tree as three years ago,  when it failed when the
only chick disappeared. The female was still in immature  plumage and the
male quickly disappeared before the nestling hatched. Perhaps  the same
female, now an adult? There has been a pair around the Hollow every  year though,
sometimes with a youngster in tow.
Broad-winged Hawk   1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  5
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker   1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least  Flycatcher  3
Eastern Phoebe  15
Great Crested Flycatcher   2
Eastern Kingbird  1
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Warbling  Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  20
Blue Jay  4
American  Crow  1
Common Raven  1     A concern. Usually at  this time of the season they are
very vocal and flying  all around the  area. This year I see only 1 if any,
and I've only heard minimal vocalizations.  I strongly suspect the nest
failed this year, for the first time since I've been  going there, and perhaps
there is not even a pair. One  may have  disappeared over the winter. I hope
the remaining bird will be able to find a  new mate for next year or they
may be gone from the Hollow.
Tree  Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  5     I'm  concerned about this species. There are
usually flocks of a dozen or more  scattered around the area at this time of
year. This season I see/hear almost  none, and never more than 2 or 3
together
Tufted Titmouse   8
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown  Creeper  2
Winter Wren  1     Another concern. Last  year there were several, perhaps
6, but this year I have never found more than  one a day, always in the same
area so I'm sure it's the same bird. In the past I  could blame harsh
winters for a decline, but obviously, not this past  1.
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery  25
Hermit Thrush   1
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  25
Gray Catbird   20
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  4
Ovenbird   40
Louisiana Waterthrush  7
Northern Waterthrush   8
Blue-winged Warbler  2
Black-and-white Warbler  12
Common  Yellowthroat  15
American Redstart  3
Magnolia Warbler   4
Blackburnian Warbler  4     I managed to find 4 this  time, but more often
than not this year I've found none. Not at all in usually  expected
locations, either.
Yellow Warbler  8
Chestnut-sided  Warbler  6
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Pine Warbler   8
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler   20
Canada Warbler  13     Actual count of singing males.  This year there are
the most I've ever had here, by far. Many in locations I  haven't seen/heard
them before. They are annual breeders in Boston hollow, and  this year seem
to have increased in numbers and expanded  their  territories.
Chipping Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  5
Eastern  Towhee  8
Scarlet Tanager  7     5 males singing,  plus 2 females seen
Northern Cardinal  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak   1
Indigo Bunting  1     This was a singing male. A few  days ago I saw a
female gathering material from tent caterpillar nests in the  same location.
I've had them there for the last 3 years
Red-winged  Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  8     don't usually  see that many, if any at all
Brown-headed Cowbird  14      more than usual this year
Baltimore Oriole  11     lots  of singing males and several females
Purple Finch  2
American  Goldfinch  6
House Sparrow  6

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.