[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Least Bittern,Clapper Rail

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 07:34:42 EDT 2016

Westport-Sherwood Island- Walking the ditch near nature center and the edge of the marsh-I first accidentally flushed a Least Bittern from the ditch and it flew east towards Burying Hill. This is the second time in two years I have had this species in the park at this location. Spotted a Clapper Rail near the marsh edge and watched it walk into the grass. Also had a small group of Semipalmated Sandpipers and one Least Sandpipers. There are Marsh Wrens everywhere,there is definitely an explosion of them here but oddly no Saltmarsh Sparrows yet.

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone