[CT Birds] Sunday birding

dbobolink at aol.com dbobolink at aol.com
Mon May 30 08:16:41 EDT 2016

>From Robert Dixon with Tim Thompson, Jason Rieger and Doug Warner.
5/29/16 - 125 species for the day with 90 in Windham County and then another 35 in New Haven and Fairfield Counties.
Highlights - We began the day at 3:45 am at 179 Main St in Sterling with two calling WHIP-POOR-WILLS and two BARRED OWLS. On Day Rd. in Pomfret we had calling VIRGINIA RAIL and SORA. Boston Hollow produced CANADA and BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS as well as, BLUE-HEADED VIREO, WINTER WREN, YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, HERMIT THRUSH and COMMON RAVEN (we had two in Stratford as well). Pumpkin Hill Rd. near the pipeline had singing CERULEAN WARBLER and at Garrison Park there were a pair of BOBOLINKS. Quinebaug Fish Hatchery had GREEN HERON (5) YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO and WHITE-EYED VIREO. A few other species found in Windam County were HOODED MERGANSER at the rookery on Rte. 44 in Pomfret, PURPLE MARTIN (5) at a colony on Rte. 169 in Canterbury and FIELD SPARROW in Ashford.
Highlights from the coast were TRI-COLORED HERON, CLAPPER RAIL and BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE (5) at Stewart B. McKinney in Stratford (railroad tracks). Milford Point had many shorebirds as well as LAUGHING GULL. Finished the day at Silver Sands with a singing YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT (thanks to Tom Murray) and many flyover GLOSSY IBIS.