[CT Birds] Mansfield Center, Bluebirds

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:36:18 EDT 2016

I'm excited to report that I have a pair of bluebirds nesting on my property. I've lived here for 12 years and have had them pass through but never to take up residence. Not only are they in one box, but they are in two nesting boxes on the side of my garage - less than 20' from my house. I'm having a difficult time keeping momma from beating herself up on the windows. I've resorted to putting brown paperboard on the outside of the windows. I do have decals on the sunroom windows, but not on the other windows in the house.   I also am using the highlighter marker on the sunroom windows and that so far, has worked too. I can't tell if she's collecting bugs on the sunroom roof (all glass room) or if she's attacking it, but I've put a towel up on the window pane that she was pecking at. Keeping birds safe is a full-time job.

Question - is it normal to find that they take up housekeeping in two houses that are about 6' apart? Yesterday they were feeding one box and today they seem to be concentrating on feeding the other box. I'm hearing chirping when they approach each box.

Jo-Anne

Mansfield Center