[CT Birds] Hartford BioBlitz

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 3 12:03:51 EDT 2016

Some of you may know that UConn, the DEEP,  the Connecticut Science Center, Two Rivers Magnet School and many other partners are putting on a BioBlitz centered in East Hartford this weekend.  Starting today we will be trying to find as many species of all taxa (not just birds) within a 5 mile radius of the school.  Our current record is 2,519 species, and we're hoping to beat it.
Surveying starts today at 3 pm and goes through the night, with a final tally at 3 pm tomorrow. There will be many events for the public, starting at 10 am tomorrow, including bird/plant/mushroom/insect walks, a book signing, lectures, etc., with many activities for children.  Full details of those events can be found here:http://web.uconn.edu/mnh/bioblitz/BioBlitz2016/2016%20CT%20BioBlitz%20Schedule.pdf
I am leading the bird crew, and we would be very grateful to hear about any unusual birds that we might otherwise miss.  So, if you find something in the Hartford area in the next 24 hours that seems out of place - or hard to find within that area - please send me an email (or an ebird checklist that will show me the location).

For more information on the overall event, go here:

Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net