[CT Birds] Possible Golden Eagle

Ralph Amodei ramodei at att.net
Sat Jun 4 10:59:53 EDT 2016

 During this am's Summer Bird Count in FarGeorge Preserve, New Have Land Trustproperty on Quinnipiac Ave, New Haven. As I was leaving the river front shore line the usual Ospreywere up and about and I had already seen the three that were there. Two Osprey were flying and soaringaccompanied by a third bird. An eagle! All the birds were heavily silhouetted, but a kept my eye onthe eagle. It had no white tail nor head. The head was smaller in proportion to the wing line and body verses a bald. It was missing a tail feather suggesting it has begun it's summer molt.But, could it be a fledging bald from the State Street Bald nest? I have had both adult birds fromthat nest in Far George in past years. Then the missing tail feather, tawny overall wings, head pattern andoverall size. I'm thinking a Golden.
Ralph AmodeiEast Haven, CT