[CT Birds] Northern Goshawk, New Hartford

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 11 11:13:30 EDT 2016

Very likely.  Ironically, chances of finding a nesting accipiter in CT seem to vary as the inverse of the sightings you would have during Fall migration.  In other words detecting accipiter nests seems to be Goshawk: most common, Coopers Hawk: slightly less common, Sharp-shinned: extremely difficult to encounter at all.  Not that finding nesting any accipter nest is an every day occurrence.  Finding any nest is a rare occurrence, congratulations.

In Fall migration, Sharp-shinned is very common, Coopers is common, Goshawk sightings are rare.

Anyway, that's my inexperienced impression.  I'd love to hear more general comments about nesting CT accipiters.

Steve Mayo
Bethany