[CT Birds] sapsuckers

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 10:57:25 EDT 2016

Chris made the point I was going to make (beat me by a minute:) Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are extending their breeding range southward, opposite the trend cited for many species and cited as evidence of warming. When I moved to CT a little over 20 years ago, you had to go north of Litchfield to find breeding sapsuckers. Now they're regular as far south at least as the Waterbury-Naugatuck area. Looks like they're starting to move eastward as well after what seemed like just a move south through the western part of the state. I believe they're also regular now in NW NJ. When I lived there and was doing the World Series of Birding, they were absent. I know because I tried for more than a decade to find one for WSB.
I've given this range expansion some thought, since it seems counter to prevailing trends. Here's an idea: As Chris mentioned, they also formerly were quite scarce in winter, but their winter population has increased noticeably as well. This may in fact be tied to a warming trend. Then, already being present in an area just south of their former normal breeding range, they're in position to take up residence when spring conditions, also appearing earlier, occur. The effect of all this on sap flow is maybe a factor as well. Total speculation of course, but something changed.
Greg HanisekWaterbury