[CT Birds] Slightly off-topic: mass gypsy moth caterpillars dead

Aaron Dollar aarondollar at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:59:13 EDT 2016

Hi All -

I had a wonderful father's day walk/hike through the Genessee patch of the CT Regional Water Authority property (anyone with young kids - there are miles of very secluded (stroller-friendly) dirt road trails leading from the southern entrance off of Race Hill Rd. in Madison). Throughout the whole property we came across hundreds of dead/dying gypsy moth caterpillars  - mostly sill clinging to tree trunks, but also littered across the ground. Did they fall from some sort of pesticide or something else? I can't imagine spraying/treating such a large area, so I am guessing something more natural? Anyone have a clue?