[CT Birds] Cockenoe Island Highlights-Roseate Tern plus

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:34:26 EDT 2016

Westport- Cockenoe Island from a boat - 8 Long-tailed Ducks, 1 Roseate Tern which landed in the middle of the nesting Common Tern colony,3 new Common Tern chicks. I think there is a possibility that the Roseate Terns could be nesting on Cockenoe Island.
Due to the increasing northeast winds, we could not spend any more time searching for any other Roseate Terns or Common Tern chicks. The tern colony becomes very agitated if anyone or any birds other than terns come too close. Landing any vessels,including kayaks or canoes,in the vicinity of the tern colony should be avoided. The exposed sandbars are as critical as the nesting area because the terns need to bathe,preen, and rest in these areas. Please pass the word on to boaters and birders.

Tina Green
with AJ Hand and Jory Teltser
Sent from my iPhone