[CT Birds] Mullberry, something hasn't been mentioned

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 12:35:24 EDT 2016

Quite a few years ago, before I was a birder, my neighbor down  the hill
had 2 large mulberry trees, one each side of his driveway. And every  year
they bore fruit like crazy, and the birds loved them. But the fruits are
exceptionally messy. The color in them (Dark raspberry) is like a truly
indelible dye.
And the problem is not confined just to the area under the  trees. The
fruit goes through the birds pretty much like it went in, at least  with respect
to color. And in my neighborhood the birds are pretty mobile,  visiting
vitually every yard. My driveway is 100 feet from his, and my car was  covered
with hard to clean red spots for weeks every year, which did not make me  a
happy camper. I couldn't park in my drive by the house because my utility
lines run up it, and the birds would sit there to digest. Etc. Even in back
of  my house I have trees over the drive and  would have the same problem to
a  slightly lesser extent.
I grinned and bore it, and my neighbor finally cut down the  trees,
probably because he had the same problem times 10.
There is no doubt mulberries are a favorite of birds, but if  you get one
consider carefully where to put it. I wouldn't do it unless I had a  yard
with a far corner, and not many neighboring houses around. Good way to make
enemies, at least one month a year.
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com