[CT Birds] crow abattoir

Amy Hopkins hopkinsus at cs.com
Sun Jun 19 19:01:41 EDT 2016

Some crows have moved into my area and are using my birdbath as an abattoir.  They (or maybe one) keep bringing dead animals (I think all birds) to my birdbath and soaking them in it to loosen up the flesh, I presume.  Every day I have to clean it out and dump them.  It's quite disgusting.  I hope they're not killing all my birds, but I suspect these are killed, not scavenged.  The crow drops the body in and returns at intervals to rip off flesh.  Today while the crow was gone, a squirrel came and nibbled at the latest body.

Has anyone else had this experience?  I may have to take down my birdbath, which I hate since all the other birds use it so much.  Either that, or maybe rig up some kind of cage over the bath that the crow can't get through.

Amy Hopkins
Guilford