[CT Birds] ATV's at Silver Sands State Park

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:57:08 EDT 2016

Hi Cathy and all,

Anything like this should be reported to the proper regulatory authorities
immediately including any park staff on hand plus Laura Saucier (
Laura.Saucier at ct.gov), CT DEEP Wildlife Biologist. Please also include us
at the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds (ctwaterbirds at gmail.com). If
Piping Plovers or other nesting waterbirds are thought to be potentially
injured or killed, or even attempted to or harassed like this, CT DEEP
EnCon Police should be called immediately at 860-424-3333.

Those Piping Plover hatchlings - three - are only a few days old and very
vulnerable. We monitor them every day but incidents happen at night and
when staff or volunteers are not around, too. Reading this it sounds like a
potential federal take to me and EnCon Police could have been called. Based
on what they find with CT DEEP Wildlife staff they work with U.S. Fish &
Wildlife and see if a federal investigation should take place. I have
included Laura here, but your friend should still make a report to all
parties.

These are possibly federal and state violations as the Piping Plover is a
federally endangered species. Please report any such events to the proper
regulatory authorities, and please ask your friend to do the same. Everyone
should bear in mind the magnitude of these potential crimes and that we
need all of your help to see them and report them to CT DEEP.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Photographer: http://www.scottkruitbosch.com/