[CT Birds] hybrid heron Hammo

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 09:10:18 EDT 2016

I think it's worth noting that the adult hybrid Tricolored X Little Blue Heron is present again this summer at Hammonasset and is probably generating some erroneous reports of Little Blue Heron (although a single adult Little Blue was also in the park when I was there late last week). The hybrid is often very conspicuous in the Boulder Pool at Meigs Point and looks superficially like a Little Blue Heron. Two key points to note: 1/ this bird is a uniform slaty blue and lacks the contrastingly deep purple head and neck of a Little Blue; 2/ There is white on the lower belly/vent area and the upper leg feathers. Depending on what the bird is doing, it also at times shows a few white flecks on the front of the neck.
Greg HanisekWaterbury