[CT Birds] Strange noise

Fritzandsheila fritzandsheila at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:33:45 EDT 2016

Last night in the woods behind our East Haddam home we heard a strange
noise.  It was a fairly loud, hollow, breathy, upward pitching whistle with
a sharp cutoff, each one lasted about 2 seconds.  Repeated once every 5-10
seconds, for about an hour or so. Strange.

Then this AM about 930, I heard it again and a barred owl was perched in an
oak at the edge of the yard hunting.  It was near the noise, but it wasn't
making it.  After a while the source was revealed when 2 smaller owls
briefly flew over to her while making the noise - hungry fledglings!  They
soon went back into the nearby woods.  As of 1030, she's still hunting the
edge of the yard (while pestered by the locally nesting fish crows and
chickadees) but hasn't caught anything.  Too bad they don't eat gypsy moths,
this is the 3rd time in 21 years here that they're really bad, but it
appears to be tapering off.

Harold "Fritz" Moritz

Sheila Gleason

fritzandsheila at pobox.com