[CT Birds] Milford Point CT DEEP Request

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Jun 24 18:11:07 EDT 2016

I wanted to pass this along for CT DEEP, but I would go a step further
and say that if you are simply birding or photographing to please remain
off of the sand bar entirely at Milford Point as anyone could easily
crush or kill a young bird and commit a federal take. We in the Audubon
Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds do this work every single day, and we
know well that birds have enough to deal with in terms of ignorant
beachgoers, predators on the ground and in the air, weather, tides, etc.
Adding people trying to see or shoot them up close into the mix
threatens their lives. Even if you are cautious you are adding to the
"predators" they have to avoid. Thanks in advance!

"DEEP Wildlife Division is requesting that volunteer Piping Plover
monitors assigned to Milford Point NOT monitor the extreme tip of the
sand bar as of June 24th. Rebecca Foster (DEEP Shorebird Technician)
reported that walking out to the extreme end of the sandbar had to be
done very careful to avoid stepping on newly hatched Least Tern chicks.
There were a minimum of 7 newly hatched Least Tern chicks and 2 broods
of Piping Plovers with hatchlings outside of the string fence on the
narrow tip. This area is unfortunately not feasible to fence given the
tides.

Because we are limited as to what we can do to protect vulnerable chicks
out at the end of the sandbar, we will minimize some of the traffic by
limiting our presence even though it means we get less data. At this
crucial time in development, minimizing disturbance will benefit the
birds more than our monitoring/education efforts. This is a temporary
measure that we will lift after the chicks get a bit older. We will keep
you posted and let you know when conditions there change. Thank you for
your cooperation!"

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch