Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Jun 25 14:42:08 EDT 2016

6/25/16, in Southbury, at the Audubon Center at Bent of the River Sanctuary:
Forty bird and butterfly enthusiasts set out on the trails today for all
things winged.  We saw lots of good birds and butterflies.  The birding
highlight was a male Northern Parula, singing its heart out along the road
that leads from the north meadow to the buildings. We also heard Hooded,
Black-throated Green and Prairie Warblers, and Indigo Buntings were
everywhere.  Butterflies that were observed included: Spicebush Swallowtail,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Great Spangled Fritillary, Silver Spotted and Least
Skipper, and the rarest of the day: Hickory Hairstreak.  A good time was had
by all. There was a great exchange of information between the birders and
the butterfly enthusiasts.  CT Birders should consider joining us on next
month's workshop, when we'll be walking the trails in People's State Forest
with members of the CT Botanical Society.

Chris Loscalzo,

P.S.  A special thanks to John Himmelman for leading the workshop.