[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 22:48:11 EDT 2016

With help from the folks at the Yale summer camp I've been able  to go into
some additional areas this year, and while I haven't found  anything new
yet in those areas, I know where to find birds that were hard to  get there
previously.  I did a big circuit today to see what I could come  up with.
Birds are quieting down, so I find less individuals of some species but  still a
good species count overall.
Highlight of the day for me was a singing Hooded Warbler, first  I've found
in the Yale Forest. But there is lots of good habitat for them and I  have
expected one for years. Ebird report below.

Jun 27, 2016 7:45 AM  - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:      Did and extensive search today, based on species and
locations I have seen  recently. Lower # of birds but good species count.
68 species

Turkey  Vulture  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1   Juvenile -- appeared to be 2nd year bird. !st one of the
year in  the area for me.
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk   1
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker   4
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  5
Least Flycatcher  3
Eastern Phoebe   10
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Yellow-throated Vireo   1
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo   8
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   2
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse   4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper  1
Winter  Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  20
Hermit  Thrush  2
American Robin  10
Gray Catbird  15
Cedar  Waxwing  6
Ovenbird  20
Worm-eating Warbler  1
Louisiana  Waterthrush  1
Northern Waterthrush  5
Blue-winged Warbler   1
Black-and-white Warbler  6
Common Yellowthroat  6
Hooded  Warbler  1     My first in Yale Forest, and a bird I have  expected
to find for years. Excellent habitat and found in several other places  in
the general area
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler   1
Blackburnian Warbler  7