[CT Birds] Great Mountain Forest

Peter DeGennaro degennap at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 21:13:59 EDT 2016

7/3 - Great Mountain Forest, Canaan - my brother and I walked about a mile
into the forest along the dirt road. Very birdy despite it being 2pm.
Highlights were a Red-breasted Nuthatch, Cerulean Warbler, 2 Hooded
Warblers, and a Blackburnian Warbler.

A bit surprised about the Hooded Warblers, since it seemed too far north
for them. However, lots of their favored understory habitat around, and a
quick check of eBird showed a few breeding records this year in
southwestern MA.

Also, there's a good sized Bank Swallow colony on Sand Road in Canaan in
the marble piles across the road from the southern quarry. I counted about
35 of them.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck