[CT Birds] Speaking of the Point...volunteer day

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jul 8 09:47:18 EDT 2016

It looks like we are pretty light on volunteers for Sunday.  The weather looks good and  we have a lot of trees, shrubs and wildflowers to plant.  I hope you can join us this Sunday starting at 10 AM.   We should be going well into the afternoon if you can't make it there by 10 AM.

Some of the species to be planted:
Wild columbine, a favorite of hummingbirds
Flowering dogwood, a favorite of thrushes and tanagers
Red-osier dogwood, a real warbler magnet in the fall.  I've had as many as 5 Tennessee Warblers foraging on the red-osier dogwood at the Bent in fall migration.
Three kinds of Joe-pye weed, a butterfly favorite and I've also noted a lot of warblers foraging in the spent flower heads in the fall.
Grass-leaved goldenrod, the one that attracts all the buckeyes in the late summer at the Point
Early goldenrod
Winged and smooth sumac
Great blue lobelia, another hummingbird favorite
Four species of oak, including bear oak, the host plant for many hairstreaks and a favorite foraging plant of shrubland birds.
New England and New York aster,
New York Ironweed
High and lowbush blueberries
Arrowwood viburnum.