[CT Birds] Bird song ID help

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 17:54:15 EDT 2016

The three suggestions I've gotten so far for the bird I heard  in Boston
Hollow are Blackburnian Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler and  Northern Parula.
All three were birds I considered as possibilities. But I  believe it is most
likely a Parula. I've found a few recordings that sound quite  similar, and
the habitat is the best fit for that, by far. Until someone else  mentioned
it I was reluctant to assume that as the bird, because it is one I  don't
often see in the Yale forest. I doubt they nest there, and I don't  know
where they do, but a bird just showing up now is likely post-nesting season
dispersal, and it could even be working it's way south. I think it's even
possible it's a juvenile bird, which might account for the odd  song.
I had a Hooded Warbler the other day and I assume that might be  the same
situation, since I've never had any evidence of nesting or even  found one
there before. However, I do know locations within 10 miles or so where  they
definitely do nest. In both these cases there was no sign of the bird the
next day.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com