[CT Birds] Blue Grosbeak at Stratford Point (not here again though)

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jul 7 17:00:43 EDT 2016

A belated thank you to Bill for his kind words!  Things do seem to be coming along nicely here, but I can't take all of the credit.  The whole organization at Audubon Connecticut has been behind me 100% as we work to implement our vision to make Stratford Point the best it can be for birds and birding (and butterflies too).

We have also had many wonderful donors, volunteers and partners along the way.   Sacred Heart University (SHU) has been a critical partner and has sought and received much grant money to improve habitats here, including a large grant last year from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Long Island Sound Futures Fund.  Their staff and students have been hard at work on many projects (since before I got here) and are the driving force behind the Living Shoreline Project.   They have applied for additional funding for upland and tidal zone restoration and are in it for the long haul.

Scott Kruitbosch and Twan Leenders from the Roger Tory Peterson Institute (RTPI) are also tremendous partners here at the point, with our shorebird conservation efforts and the WildLife Guards program at Pleasure Beach.  These programs and our efforts at Stratford Point simply would not work without their help!

Of course Sporting Goods Inc. (part of DuPont) has been supportive all along the way and has funded much of the restoration work, especially with regard to the Living Shoreline Project and we have to also thank the generosity of the Jeniam Foundation, Two Roads Brewing Company (stop in and have a beer) and many individuals and businesses in the state.    Also Gail Bishop from Thunder Hill Design, Stefan Martin and Varsenscapes have provided steep discounts and pro-bono services and the Menunkatuck Audubon Society has also played a big role.   Our volunteers are too numerous to mention all by name, but they are also a key.   I will take some credit for the vision, but the implementation has taken a village.   Thank you to everyone who has made this possible; we're just getting started!

Phone: (203)405-9115  http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook:

Plants for Birds!
Find the best plants in your area on Audubon's new Plants for Birds Database here
...and check out this cool video about the campaign here!