[CT Birds] Gull Island Roseate Terns and Plum Island Harbor Seal Rescue

Ian Devlin captain_ian at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 17:23:07 EDT 2016

12noon to 4pm

While fishing out in Eastern Long Island Sound today, I stopped by Gull Island to enjoy (at a safe distance 100 yards) the Roseate as Common Tern nesting colonies. Maybe several thousand terns there with pretty big babies constantly being feed Atlantic Silversides, baby Butterfish, baby Bluefish and Sand Eels. Such a beautiful and raw coastline! I guide out here often for my fishing clients.

We went to Plum Island to see both the Harbor and Gray Seals along the SE side of the island. We saw about a dozen very large Grey Seals and equal amount of smaller Harbor Seals. Unfortunately, we encountered an adult Harbor Seal entangled in one of the lobster trap lines still connected to the trap down below in 12' of water. After assessing the situation and some apprehension, I was able to carefully approach and cut the line to the trap. The seal was very cooperative and even let out several moans. Very sad to see!!! At least it's able to swim to wherever it needs to go, but I'm still concerned about the line and buoy around its neck. I did call Mystic Seaport in Mystic to their marine mammal rescue hotline with the area where I found it. Maybe they can find it and fully remove the line and buoy from it, so it is fully free from danger. I tried my best, but at least it's not completely stuck to a lobster trap with only a 50' swimming radius!

Capt. Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT.

Sent from my iPhone