[CT Birds] Response to whip

Paul paul.fusco at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 12 20:20:16 EDT 2016

Hi Robert and Paul,
In my experience I have photographed two whip-poor-will nests. Each had two eggs and after a period of time, two fledglings. A clutch of two is standard for this species. I have never heard of a whip having a clutch of four.
As for the Suffield WMA, I found breeding grasshopper sparrows on the property when i was last there a few years ago. That property may have been part of a mitigation for the development of Rentschler Field but the owners of Rentschler were under no requirement to mitigate. Rentschler is private property and the DEEP has no jurisdiction over what the property owner wants to do there. CT's endangered species law only has influence over what happens on state property.
Paul

Sent from my iPhone