[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; Interesting day today

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 23:26:57 EDT 2016

Like just about everywhere this time of year, Boston Hollow is  quieting
down. Lots of birds still there but some have left, and relatively few  are
still singing.
In particular, there are very few Waterthrushes of either  species, only
one of each that I'm sure of now. In past years I've found  them into late
August. I think the dry weather may be part of the reason. In  particular,
Louisianas are normally found along streams and rivers, and during  June Boston
Hollow Brook was essentially dry.
I have seen/heard several Yellow-billed Cuckoos this year, and  after
today, I think it's a good bet a pair is nesting there.
I can now say there hasn't been a year so far that i have not  at least
heard a Barred Owl in the area.
This is the first year in a while that I haven't had either an  Alder or
Acadian Flycatcher.
All year I have been hearing only 1 Winter Wren in Boston  Hollow, except
for once when I had one up near the Union line. Today a Heard the  1 in the
Hollow and the one up toward Union again, just south of the first time.
Found my first accipiter today, and it was a Sharp-shinned  Hawk. In the
past I have often had Coopers but almost never  Sharp-shinned.
60 species. Ebird report with annotations  below:
Jul 16, 2016 7:45 AM  - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:      The  area is quieting down now, less birds around and most
not singing. But  still a good number of species.
60 species

Wild Turkey  10   2 adult females, 8 poults
Great Blue Heron  2   Beaver dam on BH Rd, mill ponds on Barlow Mill
Turkey  Vulture  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1     1st accipitor  for the season at BHYF - at mill
ponds. Usually see Coops; not this year so  far.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     "Baby," screaming his  head off as usual.
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk   1
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1      Kow kow kow call, not  cuckoo. Just north of
beaver dam, heard in that area  twice before, this year.
Barred Owl  1     Heard in heart  of BH. 1st for this year, I'd almost
given up for the season
Belted  Kingfisher  1     Barlow Mill mill ponds
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  5
Downy Woodpecker   8
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  4
Least Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe   6
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Blue-headed Vireo  4
Red-eyed  Vireo  8
Blue Jay  15
Tree Swallow  1
Barn Swallow   5
Black-capped Chickadee  25
Tufted Titmouse  6
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper   1
Winter Wren  2     Only second time this year I've  heard 2 the same day.
One in the middle of BH (bird I hear every day) and one  north of the Barlow
Mill mill ponds. Previously heard one about 200 yards north  from there just
once this year.
Eastern Bluebird  1      39 B M
Veery  10
Hermit Thrush  4
Wood Thrush  2   1 bird has been calling almost daily at south end of
(dirt)   BH Rd, 2nd at extreme N end of my route on Kinney Hollow Rd in Union,
across  from upper Hull house.
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird   10
Cedar Waxwing  1     Only 1 is odd, because I've been  seeing and hearing
them regularly, in numbers.
Ovenbird  2   Really quieted down, but lots of juveniles in the  woods.
Louisiana Waterthrush  1     1st one  in   two weeks.  Most Waterthrushes
of both species seem to have  left the area, probably because it was so dry
in June. At beginning of BH dirt  rd.
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat   4
Magnolia Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow  Warbler  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Black-throated Green  Warbler  10
Canada Warbler  2
Chipping Sparrow  5
Song  Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  6
Scarlet Tanager  3
Northern  Cardinal  4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Red-winged Blackbird   6
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
Baltimore  Oriole  7     2 adult males, 1 adult female, 4  juveniles
American Goldfinch  25
House Sparrow  2
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com