[CT Birds] Griswold Point, part two

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Jul 17 18:21:38 EDT 2016

Griswold Point must have been the place to go birding by kayak today.  After
Jim S. came out of the water this morning, we went in and paddled around the
point.  We also went up into the Great Island marsh.  Some observations:

The three Common Loons in the sound were all in non-breeding plumage and,
when they flapped their wings in the water, we saw that many of their flight
feathers were short or missing. They may be flightless as they go through
their molt.

There were many juvenile birds of many species observed (not a surprise, but
nice to see nonetheless), including Common and Least Terns, Piping Plover,
and many Osprey.

The shorebirds seen demonstrated that fall migration has clearly begun.  We
saw a total of eleven shorebird species, of which 5 were residents (American
Oystercatcher, Willet, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and Piping Plover),
while six were migrant species: Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Least and
Semipalmated Sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitchers, and Sanderlings.  The
Sanderlings were still in breeding plumage, with the males sporting rufous
heads and necks.

Bank Swallows were observed along the coast (as mentioned in a recent post),
clearly a sign of post-breeding dispersal.

There were a lot of Seaside Sparrows in the marsh.

We kept a respectable distance from the birds at all times and were pleased
to see that this appears to have been a successful breeding season for our
coastal birds.

We are at the beginning of what we hope will be a long and exciting fall
migration.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge