[CT Birds] My all species hummer feeder

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 14:18:07 EDT 2016

I had written before about the 3 species of woodpeckers who love my sugar water. The downy in particular stands on the feeder and drinks almost all day. I did put up a second feeder but its mate found it...then it was destroyed by a bear. Now a new threat to the hummers. A young squirrel has discovered that if he stands on it just right so it tilts a little, he can lap up the sweetness. I have actually never seen a squirrel's tongue before, so this is vaguely interesting. The hummers still get a shot, mostly very early or almost dark. C'est la vie.

Zellene