[CT Birds] Bird movement today

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 12:26:10 EDT 2016

Following up on Tina's post about movement in her area, I did one of my favorite things this morning: go to Lighthouse Point in New Haven on a strong cold front in July. Bill Banks and I were there from c. 7-10 a.m. and recorded more than 4000 passage Red-winged Blackbirds. This big July blackbird movement is very consistent on strong cold fronts, then tapers off so that when hawk watch season starts (very late Aug-Sept), red-wingeds are present in very modest numbers. The big flights pick up again mid-Oct into Nov.
Other expected migrants this morning were modest numbers of Tree, Barn and Bank Swallows and Yellow Warblers. Not yet present, but often on the move in good numbers around this time, were Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. There were a few Eastern Kingbirds around the point but no passage migrants. Big flights can occur up to early Sept. The same can be said for Bobolinks. Today we had little better than a handful, but 4 that we saw fly by together consisted of 2 yellow-brown birds and 2 males in what appeared to full breeding plumage. This is molted quite quickly, and in the past when I've encountered Bobolinks in July the males were at best mottled-looking. Before long the flocks will have a very uniform yellow-brown appearance of immatures and molted adults.
A Peregrine Falcon also spent about an hour around the point, terrorizing various birds but being annoyed by Fish Crows.
Greg HanisekWaterbury