[CT Birds] American Avocets all around us!

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Wed Jul 20 21:33:47 EDT 2016

American Avocets are starting to turn up in the Northeast already.  One was
seen in Rhode Island today. Five were in eastern Long Island last week
(directly south of Hammonasset).  Several were seen along the New Jersey
coast last week and one was observed in western Mass. a few weeks ago (a
real rarity inland).  It's early in the season, so all of them were still in
full breeding plumage.  Real beauties!  We didn't have any here in CT last
year, so we're due.  Congratulations to whoever is the first birder to find
one in our state this year!

Good birding,

Chris Loscalzo,