[CT Birds] Questions about Osprey in Ct

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 17:04:16 EDT 2016

I'm fortunate enough to be a steward of an Osprey nest this  summer, and a
few questions have come to mind that I never  thought of  before.

Is there a date range that nestlings are generally expected to  fledge? My
nest is a northern one (Ashford) and I know from the size of the  chick when
I first saw it that these birds must have started very late.
I have been watching a nest in Eastford for years and it has  always been
true for that nest also. Is there a correlation between nesting date  and
distance from the coast or how far north?
What is the experience with other inland  nests?
Are there signs that fledging is imminent? This chick is still  quite a bit
smaller than its parents, but flaps its wings from time to time, and  the
wingspan is impressive and the feathers look pretty much grown in. I'm
trying to get some idea of how long it will be till  "takeoff".
Once a nestling flies from the first time does it leave the  nest for good
or return to it?
If it does return, is it considered fledged after its first  flight?

Guidance on any  or all of this will be  appreciated.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com