[CT Birds] Barn Island WMA (Stonington) egrets, ibis, hosting many juv's

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sat Jul 30 22:31:47 EDT 2016

Today at Barn Island WMA (Stonington) the marsh had more egrets every time I counted.  Over one hundred and many snowy egrets.  Around twenty glossy ibis were flocked with them.  At one point over fifty egrets lined right up and I took a photo from the trail and only eleven are adult great egrets.  Adult GE were combing the flats and I don't ever recall seeing egrets so active.  Around fifty semiplamated sandpipers were counted in two flocks along with ten yellowlegs.  I heard some willets but didn't see many.  Six cedar waxwings, swamp and song sparrows, seaside, and sharp-tailed sparrows were seen on the trail.  Also noted bluebird and robin juveniles sharing the same roost.

seaside sparrows
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/28583919301/in/datetaken-public/

egrets
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/28377992590/in/datetaken-public/