[CT Birds] Interesting bird observation

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 31 16:12:28 EDT 2016

I as usual had a pair of PHOEBEs nest in yard this year. The male started to do something that I never saw before. He was seen all summer catching bugs and insects only from the ground! Be it the driveway, the road, or occasionally the lawn, but not ofter. I do believe he learned this from watching the Bluebirds that nested twice in my birdbox, feed from the ground. I observed him also picking up many types of insects as well as Ants from the ground, esp the driveway. I have pix of this. So Odd.Also - Jays yelled at a Sharpie today that took a Titmouse by my summer feeder. One reason to not feed birds in the summer....
Paul Carrier - Harwinton