[CT Birds] Hummingbird Feeder Problem

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:49:19 EDT 2016

You need to change the sugar water in the feeders as soon as it gets
cloudy!  Mix it up yourself; 1 part sugar to 4 parts water (e.g., 1/4 C
sugar to  1 C water) put it in the microwave until it comes to a boil and
let it cool.  Meanwhile wash out the feeder with a soap and bleach solution
and rinse well.  During this hot spell I have changed my hummer food every
other day.  They can get ill and even die if they eat moldy food.  Their
tongues can swell up from the fungus infection and they starve to death.
Maybe this doesn't happen often but often enough that it's worth the extra
work.  I only fill my feeders 1/2 way during hot spells as it get cloudy so
quickly.  I have lots of juvies around right now and they may not recognize
that the sugar water has gone by so I am extra careful.  If this is too
much work for you, better to bring in the feeder and let them find other
sources.  You can put it out again when the weather cools and it stays
fresh longer.  Good luck!

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut