[CT Birds] Fencing help at Sandy Point West Haven

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Aug 5 17:56:08 EDT 2016

We now have our first string fencing removal date set by CT DEEP. The
Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds would appreciate any volunteers
who could help us out at:

Sandy/Morse Points in West Haven on Tuesday, August 9th at 10 a.m. The
rain date is Thursday, August 11th at 10 a.m.

Long Beach and Bluff Point fencing removal dates will be announced soon
pending Least Tern and Piping Plover chick departure. Assisting not only
helps AAfCW but it also greatly aids those at CT DEEP who have extremely
limited time. It also limits the stress on young, feeding and migrant
birds. Please remember that taking down fencing in August can be
physically demanding because of the potential heat and humidity, and
those who join us should remember a few things:
-wear sunscreen and a hat
-drink plenty of water or sports drink and bring a snack
-do not attempt to carry too many stakes as there will be enough
volunteers and staff members so that no one should overexert themselves
-anyone who needs to limit physical exertion should stick to winding up
string rolls
-take as many breaks as needed

Please bear in mind that West Haven requires parking passes, so if you
are not a resident or do not have one from monitoring this year perhaps
you can carpool with someone who does. If not but you would like to help
we welcome it! Please let us know and we will attempt to make
arrangements with the City. In general we look for everyone we can to
help out even if you are not a past monitor or volunteer - the more the
merrier. It also makes for a more pleasant morning of bird watching and
discussions on the beach. Please email us at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com if
you can join us in West Haven next Tuesday, and thank you!

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
skruitbosch at rtpi.org