[CT Birds] Bluff Point 8/7 am

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 09:40:08 EDT 2016

Phil Rusch and I made a first visit of the season to Bluff Point State Park following this front with the hopes of a good morning flight.  It was seasonally appropriate with the expected early migrants.  We had over 100 warblers of seven species with the best being an adult HOODED WARBLER (only the second that I have seen there).  Two WORM-EATING WARBLERS were noteworthy and the most common migrant was AMERICAN REDSTART (~50) as expected.  Other birds of note were a juvenile BALD EAGLE, two COMMON RAVENS, SOLITARY SANDPIPER, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and an empid sp. that was probably an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER.

We only encountered one mixed flock of birds walking into the park after morning flight was over.  They were aggressively mobbing close to the trail in a a thickly vegetated area.  We tried to find the hawk or owl that had them worked up.  We found a lump in the thicket which turned out to be a BLACK RACER curled up on top of an old nest.

Glenn Williams