[CT Birds] Eastern Point, Groton pond

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 14:18:00 EDT 2016

A week or so ago, Dylan Pedro mentioned all of the shorebirds on the pond at the end of Eastern Point Road in Groton.  I stopped by early this afternoon and there were over 200 shorebirds there, mostly Semipalmated Sandpipers.  I was unable to pull out anything noteworthy, but I easily could have overlooked something, as my scope is in for repair.  There were lots of waders, too.

I have never seen so much mud at this pond and don't recall there ever being too much in the way of shorebird activity in the past.  It is more known for roosting herons and egrets.  I could not find a name for this pond, but it is across the street from the entrance to the UConn-Avery Point Campus entrance on Shennecosset Road. A nearby smaller pond (Beach Pond?) at the intersection of Shennecosset Road and Beach Pond Rd in front of the Shennecosset Beach Club is also very low.  There was a decent number of waders present with a handful of Glossy Ibis and Semipalmated Sandpipers.

As Dylan noted, there is a lot of potential for something good there, especially as quality shorebirding spots are rare in southeastern Connecticut.

Glenn Williams
Mystic