[CT Birds] Diseased yard birds

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:42:32 EDT 2016

Hi Carolyn and all,

It is molting season for many of our birds and you will see them without
feathers, which can certainly make them appear to be losing weight, as they
lose the old to grow in the new. When birds are not busy in the breeding
season or actively migrating it is a good time to change their outfit
because it takes a lot of energy and can change/reduce their
appearance/flight ability. The latter half of the summer is certainly the
time to see bald Blue Jays and Cardinals and so forth. They'll be looking
better soon!