[CT Birds] Long Beach Fencing Removal

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Aug 19 11:31:06 EDT 2016

Next week is our final string fencing removal date with CT DEEP. The
Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds would appreciate any volunteers
who could help us out at:

Long Beach in Stratford - Tuesday, August 23rd at 10:30 a.m. We will
meet at the west end of the parking area, and the lot attendant will be
notified that volunteers will be coming through to assist with plover
work. The rain date is Thursday, August 25th at 10:30 a.m.

Assisting not only helps AAfCW but it also greatly aids those at CT DEEP
who have extremely limited time. It also limits the stress on young,
feeding and migrant birds. Please remember that taking down fencing in
August can be physically demanding because of the potential heat and
humidity, and those who join us should remember a few things:
-wear sunscreen and a hat
-drink plenty of water or sports drink and bring a snack
-do not attempt to carry too many stakes as there will be enough
volunteers and staff members so that no one should overexert themselves
-anyone who needs to limit physical exertion should stick to winding up
string rolls
-take as many breaks as needed

In general we look for everyone we can to help out even if you are not a
past monitor or volunteer - the more the merrier. It also makes for a
more pleasant morning of bird watching and discussions on the beach.
Please email us at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com if you can join us at Long
Beach, and thank you!

Scott

--