[CT Birds] Paul Carrier

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Aug 21 18:02:57 EDT 2016

Well, I agree with Mark (again)! Just what is the reason to report a
"notable" bird on/in a private area where the public isn't invited, or
encouraged to enjoy that bird? Not sure what that really accomplishes.
Yes, we all should respect the privacy of the landowner(s), but with
that in mind why report it?

If its to make the CT birding community aware that an uncommon or rare
bird has been sighted and to start watching other public areas, that's
notable. Hopefully its not to show off and solicit public approval for
having such keen birding prowess. Certainly it's important to have the
bird noted with the records committee and it should be with images,
notes, location, etc. That should be the end of it; mission
accomplished, job well done!

Although I have been watching and studying birds for over 40 years, I
am relatively new to organized birding in the CT birding community. I
joined the CT Birds list 6 years ago. Looking back, current bird
sighting reports were appearing on the listserv as fast as you could
read them. Now, 6 years later: crickets......and day old crickets!
This is not an ebird/listserv conversation, its about what the hell
happened to the listerv updates in "real time". As I mentioned, I am
really a newbie to this community, yet I receive phone calls (and make
calls myself) from many of the well-known birders when a Shorebird,
Gull or whatever is being seen. Its like the old days, word gets out
immediately down the grapevine. Honestly, its seems to be the only
means to receive current sightings and updates without waiting to hear
the iphone ding of relatively current alerts or text messages!

Watching birds use to be so much fun....now its all a big computer game!

I for one, will not EVER report a bird on the listserv on private
property that will not allow the general birding community to enjoy it
as well. Really, what does it serve? Do I really need the accolades
that much? No! Its just not that important to me!

Keith Mueller
Killingworth