[CT Birds] Out of season Bufflehead

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 21 18:27:50 EDT 2016

8/21/16.  East Haven/Branford.  While kayaking up the Farm River today, we
came upon a female Bufflehead in the river.  We've learned a lot about birds
by kayaking in CT waters these past several years, one of them being that it
is a fairly regular occurrence for a lone duck to spend the summer in one of
our protected river estuaries.  One year it was a drake Bufflehead in the Q
River marsh, another year it was a drake Common Goldeneye.  I believe this
hen Bufflehead we found today falls into the same category, but I can't say
for sure that it spent the summer here as this was the first time this year
we paddled on the Farm River.  On each occasion, the birds have looked fit,
so it does not appear to be injury or illness that keeps them here. Perhaps
they are young adults, not yet of breeding age. Or perhaps they are older
birds.  We do see non-breeding waterfowl along the coast during the summer
on a regular basis. Brant and sub-adult eider and scoter come to mind as
good examples. Anyway, it is always a pleasure to see these birds, no matter
the time of year or location.  On every birding excursion, there's something
new to see and something new to learn.

Good birding,

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,