[CT Birds] Nighthawks, Swifts, Corms -Aspetuck

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 21:05:44 EDT 2016

8/23 - Aspetuck Reservoir - Following Tom Murray's report last night, we decided to check out the COMMON NIGHTHAWKS this evening (7:20-8:00pm). We were not disappointed as no less than 30 put on an aerial show as they fed, high and low, on flying insects over the reservoir. In addition, there were 100 (estimate) CHIMNEY SWIFTS joining in the feeding frenzy. Plus quite remarkable was a roosting flock of 59 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS (and 4 GREAT EGRETS) in the pines along the east shoreline. Another night I'll take my scope to be sure they are all D-Cs!

Frank & Linda Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone