[CT Birds] Migrants

Erica Soucy rickisoucy at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 08:17:05 EDT 2016

We've got a couple of dead ash trees that are on a neighbors property line with ours.  They stick up easily 15 ft above the surrounding maples, and are a bird magnet at all times of the year.  This morning between 5:45 and 7:30, I had an adult phoebe, an adult eastern kingbird and a male Baltimore Orioles.  Both adult and young robins flew in several times during that time period.  Hummingbirds are also in good numbers.  There were a couple of warblers also, but they flew before i could get the glasses on them.  I'm not the best with fall warblers, so even if I had got a good view, I probably would have had a hard time identifying them.

Which leads to a question.  I read Greg Hanicek's column this morning.  He mentioned even Peterson having problems.  Is there a good guide/book out there to really give fast easy id's to fall warblers.  I've been birding for 50 years now and still have major problems with fall and immature bird id's.  Even a class might help.

Ricki Soucy
Meriden
Sent from my iPhone