[CT Birds] Introduction & Fall Warblers

Chris Petherick cpetherick at me.com
Sun Aug 28 12:25:12 EDT 2016

Hello -

I’m new to this list and have just been reading the posts for the past few months and figured I would introduce myself.  I’m moving to Fairfield, CT in the next few months and have been trying to gain a better understanding of the birding in that area and the various hot spots throughout Connecticut.  I currently live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, which is fantastic for birding.  I thought now would be a good time to jump in to a conversation!

Greg’s comments are really good and I have taken to heart his #5.  I’ve done a couple of things to help with this.  First, I bought two warbler-specific resources - “Warblers of the Great lakes Region and Eastern North America” by Chris Earley and “The Warbler Guide” by Tom Stephenson and Scott Whittle.  The first is my quick reference guide that has good descriptions, but also some pull-out pages with pictures of both Spring and Fall plumage warblers.  The second is an in-depth guide.  I also happened upon a way to get warblers to sit still for a minute or two.  I took advantage of a natural water resource - my sump pump discharge.  I have a hose drip water into this “puddle” and I watch the puddle.  I then sit with my binoculars and, now, my camera, and with patience I have identified over 20 species of warbler at this spot. I have found this to be relevant in the field to the extent you can find a water source.  I’ve found lots of warblers on limbs around creeks and rivers.  The home version has proven to be excellent practice as well so I feel that I am better in the field because of this practice.  Water features with moving water can be such amazing attractants for migratory birds!  With the bonus of allowing much better views than you can expect when in the field.  Taking pictures has also helped, but I understand that that’s not something that everyone will do or can do.

I find fall warbler ID to be difficult, but fun and certainly doable, as I approach it knowing I may not ID every bird (Greg’s #3).

Thanks for providing a great resource for birding in Connecticut, I’m looking forward to more interaction in the future and, hopefully, meeting many of the people on this list.

Take care and enjoy the fall migration!

Chris Petherick
Milwaukee, Wisconsin