[CT Birds] Birding and what is best for birds

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 22 10:00:30 EDT 2016

I have been following the discussion on this issue with interest. My first encounter with this issue where I became aware of it was in 1991 when a certain rare small owl was discovered on a public land trust. I was excited as it would be a life bird for me. When I got to the site parking was a big issue as access to the area was off a busy state road. When I got to the area where the owl was it was chaos with birders trying to get into the perfect position to see the"target" bird in an evergreen tree. There were people trying to climb neighboring trees to get a good look at the owl. I left the area happy to have seen the "target" bird but thinking that the large number of birders was probably not good for the poor little owl. I realize that reports of owls now do have tighter criteria for being reported on this bird list server. I think the issue to me is that every hobby involving listing of one sort of another there will always be issues of what the participant's goals are versus what may not be best for the object of the listing pursuit. This is certainly a personal decision but some thought should be given about this when one pursues one's passion. To be upfront I am no longer consider myself an active birder but I do get excited when I see a large number of migrating broad-winged hawks at my local hawk watch and always like to compare our tally for a day to other hawk watch sites in the area. I now just enjoy watching the seasonal changes with bird life in my neighborhood.
David .W BabingtonWashington, CT