[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 8/22

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon Aug 22 19:55:07 EDT 2016

And another hawk watch season is now underway. Contact me if you'd like
to put in any time, and I'll let you know what we need recorded
(basically all of the below, and by hour). If you're a regular observer,
can't wait to see you there soon! As usual Boothe Park Hawk Watch is
opportunistically observed by local folks on their own time and not
staffed. More information about the site can be found here:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=703

Email me if you have any questions or want to come out sometime.
Tonight's migration should be great. Good birding to all tomorrow!

**

*Boothe Memorial Park Stratford, Connecticut, USA Daily Raptor Counts:
Aug 22, 2016
Species Day's Count Month Total Season Total ------------------
----------- -------------- -------------- Black Vulture 0 0 0 Turkey
Vulture 0 0 0 Osprey 6 6 6 Bald Eagle 0 0 0 Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 1 1 Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0 Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0 Broad-winged Hawk 1 1 1 Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0 Golden Eagle 0 0 0 American Kestrel 0 0 0 Merlin
0 0 0 Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0 Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0 Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0 Unknown Eagle 0 0 0 Unknown Raptor 0 0 0 Total: 8 8
8 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Observation start time: 10:30:00 Observation end time: 12:45:00 Total
observation time: 2.25 hours Official Counter: Scott Kruitbosch
Observers: Visitors: A few folks stopped to chat about mostly other
things on the gorgeous day. Weather: The first day of 2016 observations
came after almost a month of heat and humidity regularly exceeding
averages. A cold front passed through last evening into the early
morning hours. Diurnal conditions were nearly perfect for migration
apart from the blue sky of death. However, there were a few more clouds
than hourly data shows, albeit fast-moving. Temperatures rose through
the 70s with comfortable moisture levels and stable pressure. Winds were
from the N, then NW, and then variable mostly between the points. Raptor
Observations: Boothe is typically slow in August, even with conducive
conditions. Local birds included 1 TV, 1 RT, and 5 OS. The migrants
varied on paths but all headed W/SW as usual at mid to low levels likely
only because I was missing them at greater heights. Non-raptor
Observations: Southbound migrants included: Chimney Swift 21
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2 Eastern Kingbird 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Butterflies: Silver-spotted Skipper 1 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1
Cabbage White 1 Orange Sulphur 1 Monarch 1 Dragonflies: Common Green
Darner 9 Twelve-spotted Skimmer 2 Wandering Glider 18 Spot-winged Glider
5 Carolina Saddlebags 1 Black Saddlebags 3 Predictions: Should be solid
for anyone who wants to count!
Report submitted by Scott Kruitbosch (skruitbosch at rtpi.org) Boothe
Memorial Park information may be found at: www.rtpi.org*

**