[CT Birds] Eagleville Nighthawks (Mansfield) - and a big difference tonight

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Aug 23 21:03:31 EDT 2016

By actual count I had 42 Nighthawks come down Eagleville Lake  and over the
dam between 6:20 and 8 PM. But the big difference was, I have  little doubt
most of these birds were migrating. They came in 1's and 2's  straight down
from the north and over the lake, only a few veering to one side  of the
other, and the early birds just kept on going to the south, with hardly a
circle or a turn.
 A few of the birds at late dusk did stay to hawk  insects near the dam. I
counted only those that came down from the north. Unlike last night there
was no flock circling  in  the north at all; they just came on a bee line, 1
or 2 at a time. Last night  very few of the birds ever made it as far south
as the  dam.
 Also, about 10 or so Chimney Swifts, which I saw  none of last night, and
lots of swallows, Bank, Tree and at least 1  Barn.
There was a pair of Kingfishers that flew over, 1 an immature  female I
think (incomplete brown band), not sure of the other. And there are  several DC
Cormorants that roost in the trees along the lake  shore.
Last night a fairly strong breeze from the north, tonight  dead calm.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com